Sunday, January 29, 2012

Unconventional Saturday Night Pizza

There is an abundance of quality pizza restaurants in Springfield. Sometimes I like to hit a spot that does not specialize in pizza and give their pie a try. I mean let's face it, you never know when you will stumble onto a pizza that breaks all the rules and surprises you. So... I was feeling especially adventurous last Saturday night and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone by making my first visit to Quaker Steak & Lube and ordering their version of a pizza.
Quaker Steak has a very diverse menu. Given their name you'd think steaks are their specialty, and they may serve excellent steaks but it's quite obvious that wings are their bread and butter. For those viewers of the Travel Channel show Man V Food you may remember the host of that show taking the Atomic Wing Challenge at a Quaker Steak in Pittsburgh, PA. I think hot, spicy food is great, as long as other people are eating it. I'm not biting into anything that I have to sign a waiver to eat. No thanks. Pizza was my target and I ordered up Quaker Steak & Lube's Southwest BBQ Chicken Flatbed.
QS&L's Flatbed sports a nice crispy flatbread crust with plenty of chew, especially closer to the center of the pie. The closer you get to the edges the more crispiness there is so there is a nice balance. The sauce is a sweet and barely tangy bbq sauce that really works well with the cheddar-jack cheese, fresh chopped tomato and red onion. The chicken is added in chunks and it is coated with a chipotle bbq sauce that adds a mouth watering little kick to the dish. Not hot, just a little spice. The flatbed is finished off with some fresh cilantro.
For what it is, the Quaker Steak pie is a tasty treat if you're looking for something a little diiferent than your typical tomato sauce/mozzarella based american pizza. Quaker Steak has 4 different flatbeds you can order besides the Southwest BBQ Chicken. Also on the menu are the buffalo chicken, California veggie ranch, and Philly cheese steak flatbread pizzas.
Every once in a while it's good to step away from the norm and try something a little off-beat or out of the ordinary. I'm definitely going to get back in to Quaker Steak and get a taste of the buffalo chicken pie. If I don't care for it at least there is Shiner Bock on tap to wash it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment