Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Fulgenzi's Pizza & Pasta - Bada Bing!

Happy New Year! It's time for a new pizza review and this time I'm trying my first ever pie from Fulgenzi's Pizza & Pasta. I've eaten at Fulgenzi's many times. It's my "goto" spot after taking in a cold Friday night football game at Memorial Field for one of their amazing cheeseburgers and a bowl of their smooth spicy chili. Best place in town for a burger and chili.... So how about their pizza?

Where they're located:
1168 Sangamon Ave.
Springfield, IL (Across from the Illinois State Fair)

Call 'Em:
(217) 544-8520

The Pizza: Mushroom & Bacon

The Crust: Thin

The Dish: Although I prefer to eat my pizza in the restaurant for a review, my busy schedule doesn't always allow me the pleasure of taking in the atmosphere and ambiance of the targeted restaurant. That's ok. This one was take out and would serve as the main course at a get together with some close friends post New Year to exchange some Christmas presents. We all got an unexpected little present when we dug into the Fulgenzi's pizza.

How'd it eat: For reference sake we actually had three pies from Fulgenzi's as we got a large cheese for the kids and also a large sausage and pepperoni for the meat lovers. I munched exclusively on the mushroom and bacon pizza however, so that is what I'll be reviewing.
Now... I'll start by mentioning that there were so many good things about this pizza that I'm not sure were I want to start. Color me impressed for sure. Every aspect of this pie was above average. The crust was thin and very crispy with just the right amount of chew. The flavor of the crust was understated with a little saltiness and the texture was perfect. Just a really good thin crust. Excellent.
Spread across this exceptional foundation is a sneaky good tomato-based sauce that is fairly nuetral on the acid/sweet scale of pizza sauces and is extremely well seasoned. There's a lot of flavor in there that meshes well with Fulgenzi's crust. Basil, oregano, garlic... yep it's in there and it's good!
The toppings were well mixed and plentiful. The cheese was was copious over the pie but not overwhelming. It didn't drown the mushrroms and bacon, it just held it all together. The bacon was chopped and crispy which is a solid combo with the juicy mushrooms and creamy cheese. Overall it was just really good... REALLY good.

Let's face it...it's easy to find one good quality about a pizza. Sometimes even a couple good qualities. But it is very rare to find a pizza that has everything right. Between the crust, the sauce, the cheese, the toppings, the seasoning, the construction and the cooking of the pie... there's plenty of room for error. Fulgenzi's had very few, if any. This one of the best pizzas I've had in Springfield. Bar none. I highly recommend Fulgenzi's and can guarantee... I will be back often, and not just for the cheeseburgers and chili.

SPP Rating 9.4

No comments:

Post a Comment