Thursday, February 23, 2012

Luca for Luncha

I don't usually go out for lunch and my reasons are trivial, mostly.  For starters, I work on the west side of town and the traffic gets on my nerves... bad.  I don't like the lunch crowd.  I always feel like everyone is moving in slow motion, like they have all day to spend getting lunch. Come on people, I'm busy!  Plus let's face it...  You can go broke eating out everyday for lunch.  Sometimes though, I feel like I just need to get out and get myself a big ol' slice of pizza.
When the urge does hit, you will usually find me bellied up to the counter at Luca Pizza, with a dazed look on my mug trying to decide which topping(s) to order on my slice.  On my most recent trip to Luca for lunch I went with bacon for the topping.  I've been on a big bacon kick lately and decided not to jump out of the groove.  I went with the meal deal which scored me a salad, my slice o' bacon pie and a cold drink.  It's a nice deal.  

The Luca salad is not your typical side salad with all lettuce and a cherry tomato or a piece of cucumber.  In this salad you can count on getting what seems like a vegetable garden in a bowl with huge chunks of carrot, onion, slices of red radish, and cucumber mixed with iceberg lettuce and a good portion of croutons.  If I make a salad at home... it looks similar to this salad.  I love a salad with my pizza.

Luca Bacon slice
Luca serves just about a perfect sized portion with their single slices, at least for me.  It's a decent sized piece that's a little too big for the paper plate they serve it on.   You'll notice the pizza chef's adding the toppings you ordered to a half-baked cheese pizza and finishing it up in the oven before cutting it and serving it.  It comes hot and fresh right from the oven to the counter.  If you order something like cheese or pepperoni be prepared to know who ordered the same in front or behind you on line.  I've seen 2 or even 3 people step up for the same slice before.  The guys at the counter will point you out though so there's no awkward confrontations.
You get a traditional triangle shaped slice that has a thin crust that has a light, crispy bottom but is still very bendable making it easy to fold the piece in half to hold the toppings on and make it a little easier to eat.  There is a good mixture of sauce and cheese and on this day the crumbled up bacon was spread fairly evenly over the slice.  The sauce has a nice tomato-ee flavor that goes well with the light crust.  When I get a salad and a slice I always feel like I've had just the right amount to eat for lunch and the pizza is just surprisingly light on my stomach.  It's not a heavy feeling like I get with most other pizza.  Since I quit soda pop I will usually finish this off with a cold glass of lemonade.  A solid lunch out for a pizza lover.

Thanks for joining me for lunch.  Let's do it again soon...just not too soon.  Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment